|New Member Application||Renewing Member||Lapsed Member|
Membership is open to persons who are actively engaged in or interested in the pharmacological and toxicological sciences. Persons interested in joining ASCEPT should complete the online application form to join. Membership subscriptions are based on a calendar year beginning 1 January and ending on 31 December.
Membership application process
- Complete online membership form. Membership applications must include the name and email address of a nominator who is a financial member of the Society.
- The annual membership fee must be paid at the time of application.
- Membership applications are reviewed by the Executive Officer and the Company Secretary. All applications are approved by ASCEPT Board.
- Members are notified of all new members at the Annual General Meeting.
- To take advantage of the lower registration fees available to members for the end-of-year scientific meeting, applications for membership must be received by 30 September for submission to the October Council meeting.
A full member is a person who is actively engaged or interested in the development, application or activity of drugs or chemicals.
Many of the ASCEPT members are students. ASCEPT has a long history of supporting student members, encouraging them to excel and establish a career in pharmacology and toxicology. Just some of the ways ASCEPT supports students include:
- Low membership fees
- Low registration fees for the Annual Scientific Meeting
- Student representative within Special Interest Groups
- Careers symposium at the Annual Scientific Meeting
- Mentoring program
- Information via the members-only newsletter
- Eligibility to apply for ASCEPT prizes (GRADUATE MEMBERS ONLY)
GRADUATE STUDENT MEMBER
A Graduate Student Member is a person who is enrolled in a recognised tertiary institution and is studying a honours, masters, or doctoral degree in an area relevant to pharmacology or toxicology (member must notify ASCEPT at completion of studies).
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT MEMBER
A new class of membership was introduced in 2019. An Undergraduate Student Member must be studying an undergraduate degree in an area relevant to pharmacology or toxicology.
Once a student commences honours within their studies they are required to notify ASCEPT for an upgrade in membership category to a Graduate Member. This applies to ALL honours students, irrespective of whether it forms part of an undergraduate degree at their university.
Once the Undergraduate Student Member has completed their undergraduate degree, they will become either a graduate student member or an ordinary member (member must notify ASCEPT at completion of undergraduate studies).
PLEASE NOTE: Undergraduate student members are not eligible for ASCEPT prizes.
Annual Subscription Rates
The annual subscription shall be payable in advance on the first day of January in each year. A person admitted to membership of the Society at any time during the year will be liable to pay the full annual subscription for that year. All payments must be made in Australian dollars. Members living in Australia must pay the Australian fee.
Australian and international members – A$200.00 (includes GST)
New Zealand members – NZ$200.00 (A$185.00)
Graduate Student member
Australian and international members – A$85.00 (includes GST)
New Zealand members – NZ$85.00 (A$76.00)
Undergraduate Student member
Australian and international members – A$25.00 (includes GST)
New Zealand members – NZ$25.00 (A$22.00)
Members of ASCEPT who have been members of the Society for more than ten years and who have retired from full time employment can apply for retired member status. Retired members of ASCEPT receive all the benefits of full members and can register for the Annual Scientific Meeting at the student rate. Retired members do not pay membership fees.
Suspension of Membership
A Member may apply in writing to the Board to suspend that Member’s Membership, in accordance with this clause 11, for a period of twelve (12) months.
During the Suspension Period, the relevant Member shall remain on the Register, but shall have no legal rights of Membership, and shall not be required to pay any annual Subscription.
The Suspension Period for a member cannot exceed four (4) years in total. A suspension request must be in the form or a letter or email sent to the Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org stating reason for request.